Warriors of Darkness Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Warriors of Darkness Forum

Welcome to Clan WoD's Forum!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Archmage TD

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
HamAma
Global Moderator

Number of posts : 227
Username : HamAma
Clan : Clan BS
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 4:02 am

Archmage TD

You probably stumbled into this topic, wondering, "Hey, wtf is Archmage TD? I've never heard of it!"

Yeah, well, you're not supposed to. I'm just brainstorming. >_> I haven't even started work yet.

Wait, so what is Archmage TD?

Well, it's simple, really. It's a TD with a Hero. Sound familiar? Yeah, it should. A lot of TDs have Heroes nowadays...

But, of course, in this TD, your Hero won't be just a guy to help you kick enemies around. Nuh'uh. It's also your builder. (I realized this is sort of similar to Lightburner's Tower Fight thing, but eh, I came up with it without thinking of Tower Fight, and I think the rest of it is pretty original)

So, wait, what makes this TD so special? Besides the builder, I mean.

Basically, here's my idea. It's probably going to look like LTW or something, with the creeps moving down a line all the way to the end. I haven't played LTW in ages, so I have no idea. Instead of relying on Gold to summon Towers (like every TD does), you use mana to summon towers instead! Wait, so how does that work?

Well, basically, I'm probably just going to modify each building such that it requires no gold or lumber, but it performs a mana check when you try to summon it, and deducts when you choose to build it. Stuff.

Certain towers will also require Lumber, which is awarded in increasing amounts after each wave. These will probably be the more powerful towers.

Besides building stuff, your hero can also use mana for combat spells. I expect to have a lot of shops in the TD (all at the sides of your line-thingy), where you can outfit your Hero with the gold you earn after each wave. So, you could possibly rely ONLY on your Hero to deal with the creeps. I'm not sure. I'm still brainstorming. I'll try to do that, though. But never for the first wave.

This TD will most likely be a team TD. However, lives are not deducted on a team basis. No, each leak you leak will only affect yourself. Once you leak too much, the portal at the back of your lane collapses. You then get to stick around if you want. If all players lose, then too bad, you meet defeat. But you'll still "win" in the end if one player makes it through all the waves. I haven't decided how exactly it will go, but it's probably like this.

There seem to be quite a lot of balance issues with that...

Yep, I know.

As you know, mana is regenerated over time for most units. I have no interest in changing that. You may point out that if it is so, people can just stall for a long time, and the mana would build up, allowing the Archmage to summon lots and lots of towers.

Well, my idea is that each enemy creep would have low HP, low Armor and high HP regeneration. So you can't let them run through your maze too much, or you'll probably leak them. It's possible to create a long maze and have a high-power tower in the middle, slowly killing them, though. Eh, whatever it takes as to not leak. I may change that around, I don't know. @_@ Air waves would probably be killer with that though, heheh.

However, even if you successfully stall for a long time, since you don't have much Lumber, you won't be able to create the better towers. I also expect the ultimate towers of each race to cost the Hero's total mana (no mana increase for Int points), so you'll probably have to regenerate for a while if you want the best tower.

There are likely to be many ways for you to build your Hero. You can build your Hero up to be a warrior-type of sorts, increasing his/her damage and etcetera. Alternatively, you could try your best to increase your Hero's mana regen or buy upgrades for your towers. So, I expect to make it such that you can win in any way you want, as long as you play correctly. The best build is most likely a balance of both.

Oh. Of course, I neglected to mention that you get to choose your Hero out of a handful of types. Depending on the type, you get different towers. So, perhaps there will be one type which is more Hero combat-oriented (with better combat spells), and perhaps some with less focus on Hero combat, and more on building towers.

Stuff.

I might have missed out some stuff, I dunno. Also note that I might not even start working on this, it just came to me out of nowhere. :/

Elements

There are likely to be 11 elements.

• Earth
  • Air
  • Fire
  • Water
  • Dark
  • Light
  • Soul
  • Wood
  • Metal
  • Chaos
  • Void

Earth: Earth is the passive element. Slow, enduring, but very strong.
Hero - Mostly passive. A couple of actives, I suppose, but most of them will be to support the towers. Low range, high damage, high cooldown.
Towers - High damage, high cooldown, mid range. Generally suited for mazing, because with focus firing, you can probably kill creeps slowly at higher levels. The towers will likely reflect this; special towers will probably help to stall.
Playing Style - Mostly focused on towers. The Hero is a supporting role for them. Best suited for a long maze, since a bigger maze means more exposure for each tower.

Air: Air is the element of balance. Caught right in the middle of everything. A good choice for a beginner, because balancing out yourself between towers and your hero is fairly easy.
Hero - Mid range, low damage, low cooldown. Active spells are very balanced. Damage, support, this hero has it all. Will most likely have aoe spells.
Towers - Balanced all around. Probably will have a special tower that summons a wind spirit to tear through the maze. You'll see. They will mostly be single-target, however.
Playing Style - Balance of hero and towers.

Fire: Fire is the element of explosive might. Capable of mustering huge destructive power in one swift blow... or even over time!
Hero - Splash on attack makes this hero possibly the best one out there. Will most likely have low range, high damage, decent cooldown. Abilities will pump out massive damage, and passives will support the Hero greatly.
Towers - Towers will most likely either have special effects allowing them to do damage over time, high damage single-target towers, and possibly some splashy towers.
Playing Style - The focus of this race is mainly the hero, but you can tell the towers are most likely efficient enough to hold their own. Will probably take some practice to get used to, though.

Water: Water flows smoothly. It's capable of moving for a long period of time without having its' momentum halted. It is also capable of explosive might when propelled in great volumes.
Hero - Small wave-based attack. Low range, but powerful. Long cooldown.
Towers - Wave-based towers, high damage high cooldown single-target towers, low cooldown low damage basic towers.
Playing Style - Effective against air! Low range, but powerful when built in rows.

Dark: Dark is the aggressive element. Lots of drawing out the opponents, and stuff.
Hero - Interesting skills. Average attacks, but the skills are bound to be fun.
Towers - The king of special effects towers. There'll be a few taunting towers, I guess. One SPLAT tower (causes lots of splash damage, but has a LONG cooldown). Stuff.
Playing Style - Lots of drawing out the opponents to attack your towers, when they're grouped up, splat! Other stuff, I guess. @_@

Light: Light is the "holy" element. It excels in rapid firing, and other special effects.
Hero - Fast attacks, high range, but low damage.
Towers - Same as the hero, mostly.
Playing Style - Focus Firing is their friend.

Wood: Not as sturdy as metal, but not entirely flimsy.
Hero - Low cooldown, low damage, but high range. Mostly supportive spells, but is likely to also have splash.
Towers - Low cost, mostly. Basic towers are weak with low cooldown and high range, but stronger towers will be strong with low range, high cooldown.
Playing Style - Suited for massing, but because of the general low cost, you can try saving up early for something big (as long as your hero and towers can handle it), then you can get an advantage.

Metal: Expensive, sturdy and strong. That sums up the metal race, pretty much.
Hero - Powerful attacks with a decent cooldown and low range. Some support spells, but can do AoE splash with one spell too.
Towers - Powerful attacks with decent cooldown, but far too costly. Certain splash towers, etc.
Playing Style - Powerful all around. The Hero is strong, but so are the towers. May take some time to learn, due to the high costing towers.

Basic stuff

For the sake of balance concerns, the movement speed of the creeps will most likely increase as time passes in each round. The speed increase resets every round.

Last edited by HamAma on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZeroX2)Fire
Administrator
ZeroX2)Fire

Number of posts : 578
Username : ZeroX2)Fire
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am

Hooray! HamAma is working on a map! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://clanwod.forumotion.com
HamAma
Global Moderator

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 am

ZeroX2)Fire wrote:
Hooray! HamAma is working on a map! Smile

meself wrote:
Also note that I might not even start working on this, it just came to me out of nowhere. :/

But any other comments? Like, on the idea itself?
Back to top Go down
ZeroX2)Fire
Administrator
ZeroX2)Fire

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 5:21 am

meself wrote:
Also note that I might not even start working on this, it just came to me out of nowhere. :/

Damn, you better work on it Twisted Evil .

HamAma wrote:

Well, I haven't played alot of TD, so I don't know.. But I don't know how (one point of your game) like Tower Fight Tactics Razz.
Back to top Go down
HamAma
Global Moderator

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 5:29 am

ZeroX2)Fire wrote:
meself wrote:

Damn, you better work on it Twisted Evil .

HamAma wrote:

Well, I haven't played alot of TD, so I don't know.. But I don't know how (one point of your game) like Tower Fight Tactics Razz.

Mwahaha, you ended up quoting "meself", which would mean you quoted yourself.

Anyway.

It's like TF Tactical (or whatever Lightburner's calling it now) in that it has a Hero as your builder. Of course, I think Light's won't have it attack, whereas mine will be both a defender + builder, so mine is different in that sense. ;D
Back to top Go down
ZeroX2)Fire
Administrator
ZeroX2)Fire

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 am

Noooooooo! I quoted myself! Lol, well anyways. I hope you work on this map Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 7:02 am

Doesn't this belong in MapMaking.
Back to top Go down
HamAma
Global Moderator

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 7:29 am

I'm actually not in need of any help (because I have an idea of how to do everything), though, so... maybe yes, maybe no?
Back to top Go down
ZeroX2)Fire
Administrator
ZeroX2)Fire

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 6:54 am

I bet this map won't even get started..
Back to top Go down
HamAma
Global Moderator

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Terraining makes me lazy, therefore (blank).
Back to top Go down
ZeroX2)Fire
Administrator
ZeroX2)Fire

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Cmon... Do it! Here have a cookie Cookie?
Back to top Go down
Anti-krazy
Anti-krazy

Number of posts : 61
Username : Anti-krazy
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Holy Sh** thats alot of words and replies have a cookie ham Cookie?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Archmage TD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage TD   Archmage TD Empty

Back to top Go down

Archmage TD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warriors of Darkness Forum :: Warcraft III :: Custom Games-
Jump to: